Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Innie summer

I have to say, this has been one of the best summers ever.

I feel rested. I feel happy. My kids are getting along great. I'm keeping up with what's going on around here. No one feels grouchy or rushed. It has been bliss.

And I owe it all to a resolution to not schedule more than two things a week, or schedule (with rare exceptions being for all of three people) more than a week in advance.

I didn't have a full calendar staring at me saying, "You have no free time. It's all booked up."

I didn't have kids thrown off equilibrium with daily onslaughts of things to do, and go-go-go. I wasn't rushing to throw in a load of laundry before the next wave of guests came over.

Instead, I had full days to get done what needed to get done here, whether it was cutting the grass, doing some laundry, cleaning bathrooms, or painting. I enjoyed summery days taking pictures. I grouped together friends so that we could have fun in a big way, instead of lots of small ways that blocked out time. But I also had time to see friends in smaller ways.

My kids constructed imaginative scenarios that filled their days with laughter. They would run off sometimes with my phone and film fun plays. There were berries to sneak-eat in the field, fences to climb, bikes to ride. There were books to read and bracelets to make and lots of sunny fun swimming. They became good friends this summer, and didn't that make my heart swell! There was a lot of peace here.

We went to amusement parks with friends, hiked, had swim parties, did a week of vacation Bible school, had cook outs and sleepovers.

I learned that a full schedule isn't always best for us (even though for others it is their life preserver and joy). I learned to balance go-go-go with no-no-no (and not feel guilty).


Extroverts don't always understand introverts. I can't tell you the number of outies I've met who want to change someone in our family, or feel the need to comment about (any one of) us.

I have a lot of friends who are outies, and a lot who are innies. At times, I can relate to either side. But this summer, it was delightfully innie. 

In the fall we'll pick up the pace with school, piano, dance, and all the fun field trips, birthday parties, holidays, play dates, small groups, and studies. This type of intentional summer was exactly what I needed to recharge for it.

2 comments:

Nora said...

I love this! Definitely something I need to look INto. :)

Courtney said...

=)